CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 12, 2011

I like to read something that makes me learn, makes me question humanity...

Right now, I have picked up a book for the first time in almost/maybe over a year.  A book that isn't a wedding book, magazine, book on living with "disabilities", book on communication, or book on working with children.  A personal book.  I used to LOVE making time for reading.  While working night shifts at The Shires, in England, after the kids were settled (at least for now) and all the house duties were done, I would read.  Sometimes 1-2 books a night.  That makes it seem like I never worked, but on a 14 hour shift, being a VERY quick reader, it wasn't uncommon for me.  If I put my mind to it and really like a book, I can finish a 250-300 page book in one afternoon/evening.

I am a big fan of books that make you think, make you learn and make you question your own life.  These are usually books that bring out emotion in me, or make me feel like I want to/am/need to make a change in the world.  It's the Social Worker in me, I can't help it.  Some of the guys at work, used to laugh at me, because I always chose a book that somehow made me cry silently, without realizing that I was crying while reading it.  I like to be moved.

I went through EVERY Jodi Picoult book she wrote while I was working there.  I went through every Nicholas Sparks book.  I went through many other books of this type.  But after I started working at CAS, I stopped reading them, as they started to become all too real and no longer fiction.

I wanted to buy a new book for the honeymoon, so I picked up Jodi Picoult's House Rules.  I didn't manage to read it while we were away, as we were out doing activities or exploring all day, and when it's 40+ degrees celcius, the last thing you can concentrate on while at the beach, is reading a book!  I just wanted to be in the water, or drinking a watermelon shake.  Mmm..watermelon shake, man I miss those.  Sorry, back to the subject!

I am now 250+ pages into the book and I am hooked.  It's a book about an 18 year old boy with Asperger's, who is obsessed with crime scenes and get accused of murder.  It's fascnating.  Not only because it rings true so close to home, but because this book shows a REAL family, with REAL struggles.  I appreciate when an Author does months worth of REAL research to write their books, interviewing families and children themselves, getting first hand information.  It really sucks you in and makes you think.

So, I know I am not done the book yet (only half way through), but I highly recommend picking it up, passionate about disabilities or not.

Here's a link to the website: House Rules

0 comments:

Post a Comment