CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Prep!

Tonight, while we were dealing with the fact that our back window on the car blew out (while Graham was driving home from the store!!!!!), Christmas dinner prep was being done.  I have no desire to ruin our Christmas by blogging about, or remembering how much it will cost us to fix this, so I will just sigh and move on...

One of the things that Graham and I have in common, is that we both love to cook.  While Graham's gotten out of the routine of cooking, as I usually do the meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking, everytime he gets back in the kitchen, it looks like a disaster, but turns out a masterpiece.  I most definetely have a different "cooking style" then he does, with me cleaning as I go (I just can't get motivated to continue to cook in a dirty kitchen) and him cleaning after he's done eating (usually resulting in the kitchen looking like a BOMB hit it).

Living in England, we used to do A LOT of cooking together when I was off on a weekend (shift worker).  It usually involved a Gordon Ramsay cookbook, Graham's favourite or a Jamie Oliver cookbook, my favourite.  One fancy and expensive and one cheap and cheerful.  If you knew either of our tastes, you would say the choices are dead on!  I'd be happy to eat whatever's available and cheap and delicious (as would Graham really) and he prefers to go "all out" when cooking or eating, ensuring that it is "nice" food.  Our differences are "nice" food, can be quite opposite when it comes to cost.

Needless to say, my husband, with his apron on, was working hard prepping for our Christmas dinner.  We love to make things "team work", so away we went.  My favourite thing about this evening, was that Graham told me I could choose any dessert that I wanted for Christmas dinner.  I thought it would be a hard choice, but I went to one of my favourite new websites: Mels Kitchen Cafe and knew that I would find something descriptively yummy and hopefully easy.

I saw a preview button for one of her desserts on her sidebar and it just looked YUMMY.  I clicked on it, realized that we had everything but 2 ingredients for the recipe, perfect!  One quick trip to the store for two cheap ingredients and a dessert would soon be made (of course that cheap trip, turned out to be a $500 one, resulting in a new car window...lesson learned?).

My amazing husband, one who loves sweets, but not usually of this kind, made us this for tomorrow night...I think we'll be in a food coma by dessert, but I'm excited none-the-less.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars with Streusel Topping: all photo credit to Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment